Ayanna Nahmias, Editor-in-ChiefLast Modified: 23:38 PM EDT, 9 February 2010
CAMBODIA - On January 26, 2010 CNN aired "World's Untold Stories" program that featured Cambodia and examined the heartbreaking stories of Southeast Asia's child sex industry. The full length report can be viewed at CNN World.
Seen through the eyes of Aaron Cohen, CNN goes undercover into the karaoke brothels where sex with a child costs the same as a round of drinks. We witness the destitution and deprivation that keeps the young girls in the brothels and we're there when Cohen pays his final respects to the teenage girl he'd rescued, but couldn't save from the heartless grip of prostitution, in the face of her family's poverty.
What's uncovered in this half-hour will shed new light into the dark corners of the human trafficking problem in Cambodia, where we discover in many cases, the blame for the children's exploitation lies not solely with the pimps and madams.
The documentary will enlighten and inspire new conversation about the challenges currently preventing aid workers and authorities from winning the battle in the struggle to free children from this most despicable form of modern-day slavery.
- Op-Ed Columnist: The Face of Modern Slavery (nytimes.com)
- Op-Ed Columnist: Fighting Back, One Brothel Raid at a Time (nytimes.com)
- Joining on Somaly Mam's Brothel Bust (kristof.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Human Trafficking: Modern Day Slavery Affecting 30 Millions Women and Children (fourbluehills.com)
- Modern-Day Slavery, Hidden In Our Own Backyard (everywherealways.wordpress.com)
- Historic Ruling: Former Chief of Police Convicted of Trafficking Crimes (npong2franco.wordpress.com)
- In Cambodia, anti-slavery reforms questioned (thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com)
- Fighting Back, One Brothel Raid at a Time - NYTimes.com (femination.wordpress.com)