Japan has also been impacted by the global economic downturn, and the Tohoku quake has further exacerbated its economic recovery efforts.
In addition to the socioeconomic challenges, Japan must now contend with the daunting task of clean-up of the ongoing level 7 meltdowns at three reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant complex where the tsunami flood waters are now leaking radioactive waste into the ground water.
- Japan marks 1 year since quake, tsunami disaster (sacbee.com)
- LOOK: Most Expensive Natural Disaster Ever (huffingtonpost.com)
- You: 869 Tohoku tsunami parallels stun (japantimes.co.jp)
- Japan Earthquake, Tsunami, & Fukushima Nuclear Meltdown Anniversary (planetsave.com)
- Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami Anniversary (naeeuk.wordpress.com)